Archived Support Site

This support site is archived. You can view the old support discussions but you cannot post new discussions.

Encoding - Color space conversion question

Joe Birkmire

30 Aug, 2016 04:20 PM

Hello,

I have an encoding question. We are considering using Vzaar as one of our video streaming providers. We will have 100s of video to upload. In an attempt to save time on our side I was wondering about how you encode the videos. For example lots of our content is in a very high resolution format which would be to large to upload and is in YUV color space. We create a video compression from the master file. This compression would be 1920x1080, progressive, somewhere are 5000 kbps using a high profile encoding type. We plan on having your encoder make the transcodes and deliver all the formats that are needed to work. Knowing this what color space should we upload, RGB or YUV? Vimeo for example wants YUV and then will convert to RGB. At least that is what my tests have shown. What do you guys recommend?Any technical details you can share will be helpful.

Thanks.

Joe

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick Thompson on 30 Aug, 2016 05:13 PM

Hey Joe,

I apologize for the delayed response.
    After our call I reached out to our encoding partner for the most direct answer. They have gotten back to me saying that both RGB and YUV are acceptable with .mp4 being the output format.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Regards,
    Nick

2. 2 Posted by Joe Birkmire on 30 Aug, 2016 06:31 PM

I discovered that if I upload a YUV color space Vzaar will not convert it to RGB. If I upload RGB the color space will remain RGB. There is no color conversion happening during the transcode process. Is this correct?

Joe

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Joe on 31 Aug, 2016 10:27 AM

Hi Joe,

That's correct - to clarify and expand on what Nick has already said, our encoding accepts both RGB and YUV, enforcing no conversion between the two.

The ~5000 kbps suggested in your first comment would be pretty much ideal as a source file. How large (in GB) are we talking for the overall file size of a typical video?

Many thanks,

Joe Crow

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Alasdair Manson on 07 Sep, 2016 07:16 PM

Hello Joe

It's been a week or so with no response. I'll assume no news is good news and go ahead and close this ticket for now. Thanks for contacting us and don't hesitate to get back in touch on this - or on any other issue - in the future.

Be sure to keep an eye on our blog for discussion of future developments: http://vzaar.com/blog/

Regards

Alasdair

5. Alasdair Manson closed this discussion on 07 Sep, 2016 07:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac