Archived Support Site

This support site is archived. You can view the old support discussions but you cannot post new discussions.

Display a friendlier error message when videos are temporarily unavailable

Tech

11 Apr, 2014 12:39 PM

Hi,

Have you, or would you, consider displaying a slightly friendlier error message when videos are temporarily unavailable. This follows on from the EdgeCast problem at the weekend where some videos were returning a 504 status. In this case, the player was stating that the videos were unavailable (which I'd expect if it was a 404 response), but it might be clearer to say that they're temporarily unavailable and to try back later. What do you think?

Cheers, Chris

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Lawrence on 11 Apr, 2014 12:57 PM

Hi Chris,

That sounds like a good idea, which I could see being helpful for us both.

My one concern is that the 504 response just indicates a timeout at the CDN level. As a result, it's difficult to differentiate temporary issues from more permanent problems, without more knowledge of the timeout's cause.

I'll have a chat with the team and see what we can come up with here. It may be that we can differentiate by some other means, or introduce methods for issuing more specific messages when a service problem occurs.

As soon as I have more news on this. I'll be straight back in touch.

All the best,
    Lawrence

2. 2 Posted by Tech on 15 Apr, 2014 05:53 PM

Apologies for the delay in replying, Lawrence. I only realised today that I wasn't in the email group that received the updates.

I appreciate you looking into it.

Cheers, Chris

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Alasdair Manson on 22 Jul, 2014 10:20 PM

Hello Chris

We'll continue to find ways to make the service better and to improve our error-reporting. At this time, we don't get much more from the 504 error than the standard HTTP error reporting. We could change the message to: "The server was acting as a gateway or proxy and did not receive a timely response from the upstream server." but I'd argue that's just as user-unfriendly, if not even more confusing.

We pride ourselves on our support and this is one case where a call/email/Live Chat to/with support can play a role in bridging the gap between the depths of our CDN and the end-user.

I'll go ahead and close this ticket for now. Thanks for contacting us and don't hesitate to get back in touch on this - or on any other issue - in the future.

Be sure to keep an eye on our blog for discussion of future developments: http://vzaar.com/blog/

Regards

Alasdair

4. Alasdair Manson closed this discussion on 22 Jul, 2014 10:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac